Wednesday 14 September 2022

Day 1 Home to Tours

Leaving home at about 0708 in lashing down rain doesn't fill one with enthusiasm for a near on 350 mile ride to the first overnight stop.

I had opted for the Triumph Steve McQueen ISDT replica jacket with my usual green Bikers Australia chino jeans. Fill waterproofs over the top.

I have three pairs of waterproof gloves and two non waterproof pairs! All in the left pannier! 

The first pair lasted until we were on the train. My hands wouldn't go back in them! Scratch Belstaff leather and hipora. 

Did I say it was lashing down?

We set off on the A16. I fuelled up at Auchun Calais. Scratch £100 worth of Alpine Star Goretex gloves. Couldn't get my hands in them. The lining sticking to the minutest damp. 

Cue the old Akito Mercury gloves my brother was ditching and I had taken. Went on okay and with careful management they lasted another 300 miles. By that I mean at the lunch stop drying each hand under the hot air blower in the loo and then putting each one one separately!!  

We came down on the non toll route. The A16 to Boulogne. The N1 or whatever it's called in different departments, D901 or D1001.. Then A28 from Abbeville to Rouen.

At one point it was thundering and lightning. We pulled into the services about 30k short of Rouen for lunch. We set off in rain!

Second fuel stop in Evreux. Vera managed over 61mpg on the run from Calais. Admittedly we did stick to speed limits.

There was a brief break in the rain some where on the N10 and the air temp was showing as 27°C. Sunny and at times we rode with the front of the helmets in the open position. My face is a little red, but that maybe the Pelforth later on.... 😉

It wasn't to be. As we approached Tours it began to lash down again.

At a set of lights I felt something on my left boot. Maybe I had a leaf or twig stuck to it?

Much worse.

The sole has detached from the heel almost to the toes!

If only it had done this last week. Now I need to find a bike shop. There is one about a mile from the Kyriad where we are staying. A Kawasaki and Yamaha dealers. They must have boots?

Dinner tonight in a restaurant nearby called Bella Citta. Pizzas and beer and ice cream to end with.

No comments:

Post a Comment